The Island of Rab is constituted from several settlements (Kampor, Palit, Banjol, Barbat, Mundanije, Lopar and Rab). The old city of Rab dominates the island with it’s four church towers and medieval streets, so it is no wonder that Europeans named it "Little Venice", with its preserved cultural and historic centre with numerous monuments.
Tourists started coming to Rab more then two centuries ago. Organized tourism was started 130 years ago.
Rab reached it’s golden years in the 80s. In the year 2004 Rab won the title of the best tourist destination in Croatia, and in 2005 it was pronounced a vice champion of tourism. In the same year Rab won the silver flower of Europe award, as one of the best arranged and most desirable European destinations…
Because of it’s care for maintaining impeccable surroundings and investing in it’s beaches Rab is on the tourist cards rated as a destination with a clean and high quality sea (Blue flags on the beaches Lopar - Crnika and Suha Punta).
Did you know...?
• There are no poisonous snakes on the Island of Rab
• Rab has over 300 sources of fresh water
• The material that was in the past used for the sailor clothes bares the name of the Island of Rab: ARBASIUS
• Silk use to be manufactured on Rab
• Many buildings were made with Rab stone, for example the Rab, Zadar and Sibenik cathedrals
• Rab has an average of 2.600 sunny days per year
• The average yearly air temperature is 16,8°C
• The sea temperature from May to October is over 20°C
Olive, fig, holm oak, grape, sage, caper, rosemary, thyme, broom, mulberry...
How to come?
You can travel by car to the island of Rab from three directions:
If you're coming from Austria, you must follow the directions to Postjna, Ilirska Bistrica, Rijeka and Senj.
If your coming from Hungary the you'll have to take the highway Zagreb-Split in direction to Split untill Zuta Lokva and after you have taken the exit, proceed to Senj.
If you're coming from Italy you'll have to follow the directions to Rijeka an then Senj and Split.
If you travel by car you can take the ferry lines Stinica-Mišnjak and Valbiska-Lopar.
Aeroport – Rijeka (Insel Krk)
Fery Plan Mišnjak Jablanac: www.rapska-plovidba.hr
Fery PlanValbiska - Lopar: www.jadrolinija.hr